Rafael Nadal delivers ominous Roland Garros warning: ‘I am playing much better than I expected’
Rafael Nadal continued his dominant form in Rome, and he admits he ‘can’t ask for any more’ after so long on the sidelines.
The Spaniard is playing his first competitive tennis since February at the Italian Open, but you’d not think it give the quality he is producing.
He faced off against Serbia’s Dusan Lajovic in round three on Friday and eased to a commanding 6-1, 6-3 win to set up a quarter-final clash with Diego Schwartzman.
“I played at a very positive level of tennis,” Rafael Nadal said after the match.
“It needs to keep improving. I need to keep working on a couple of things that are no coming automatically, but I can’t ask for more.
“It was another great evening for me against another good opponent. I can’t complain at all. Much better that what I expected.
“The first set it was 6-1, but a super tough beginning of the match. A lot of good points. I am very happy.
“It’s an important victory for me after such a long time. To start the tournament with these two victories is great news.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner