Rafael Nadal: ‘Conditions are the most difficult ever for me at Roland Garros, but I’m here to fight’
Rafael Nadal says the conditions at Roland Garros this year are the ‘most difficult’ he has ever faced.
Nadal is chasing a 13th Roland Garros crown which would draw him level with Roger Federer on 20 Grand Slam titles.
However, with The French Open taking place in cooler conditions and, at times, under the new roof on Philippe Chatrier, as well as with new slower balls, Nadal admits it will likely be the hardest for him to win.
“The situation is special,” said Rafael Nadal in his pre-tournament press conference.
“Conditions here probably are the most difficult conditions for me ever in Roland Garros for so many different reasons.
“It’s very cold. Slow conditions. Of course, the preparation has been less than usual.
“But you know what, I am here to fight and to play with the highest intensity possible, to practice with the right attitude, to give me a chance.
“That’s the main goal for me. ‘Be competitive on Monday, and let’s try. Just day by day.
“I know very well this place. Is about be patient, be positive, just trying to find the positive vibes every single day.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner