Rafael Nadal angrily refutes alleged indoor weakness, saying: ‘I can beat anyone on any surface’
Rafael Nadal says he can beat any player on any surface after his defeat to Dominic Thiem in the ATP Finals.
No one has won more Grand Slams than Rafael Nadal’s 20. However, since 13 of them have come on clay, he often has to refute accusations that he is too reliant on one single surface for his success.
Similarly, 60 of his 86 career titles have come on the red dirt, and only one on an indoor hardcourt.
He, though, has defending his record, and says he knows he has the level to beat anyone in any conditions.
“I don’t want to pretend to be arrogant at all, because I am not,” Rafael Nadal said.
“But I really don’t need to show even to myself or to no one that if I am playing my best tennis, I think I can win in every surface and against any player.
“But I never won in the [ATP] Finals. That’s the real thing at the same time. So no problem about that. I know I have to play my best if I want to have chances.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner