‘Rafa Nadal plans to play two events before US Open’, reveals his coach
Carlos Moya has described the US Open as a tournament “that has been very good for Rafa Nadal” and expects the Spaniard to play two events before the year’s final Major.
Moya – who has coached Nadal since 2017 – revealed the plan is for the 20-time Grand Slam champion to next play at the Masters 1000 tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati.
World No. 3 Nadal announced last week that he would not play at Wimbledon or the Tokyo Olympics, having lost to Novak Djokovic in the Roland Garros semi-finals
“The US Open is a tournament that has been very good for Rafa historically, he really likes the atmosphere that lives there,” said 1998 French Open winner Moya.
“And we hope it will be a tournament with almost no restrictions. The idea is to compete in Toronto and Cincinnati ahead of the US Open.”
Nadal, 35, has won the US Open four times – in 2010, 2013, 2017 and 2019. He did not feature at the 2020 edition.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner