Radwanska denies Konta in Beijing
Radwanska did not drop a set as she won a Beijing crown with a 6-4 6-2 victory in the final. Meanwhile Konta, who was playing in her first Premier final became only the fourth British player to reach the top 10 – and the first since Jo Durie in 1984.
“It’s pretty cool,” said Konta, who improved her hopes of qualifying for the WTA Finals in Singapore. “I’m very pleased with my progress over the past few years and hopefully many more places to climb. I’m just working hard towards playing matches like these, against players like Agnieszka.”
For Radwanska, it was the 20th title of her career – and her ninth on Asian soil. “It’s a very special moment; third final and second title here,” said the world No.3, who also won the China Open in 2011. “It was a really special week for me and it couldn’t be any better.
“Every title means a lot, but especially here when you play against the best players in the world, in one of the biggest tournaments. It’s top players from the first round and I’ve been playing my best tennis all week so of course I’m very happy to win this tournament again, and this trophy is going to stay in a very special place.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner