‘Probably the best match I played this year’ – Novak Djokovic crushes Coria in Belgrade
Novak Djokovic dismantled Federico Coria for the loss of a single game to reach the Belgrade 2 semi-finals – describing it as ‘probably the best match I played this year’.
The world No.1 breezed through 6-1, 6-0 in just 56 minutes to reach the last four of the ATP 250 tournament.
The Serbian won 53 of the 75 points played against the world No.96 – who is the younger brother of former world No.3 Guillermo Coria.
“It was a great performance,” Djokovic said in his on-court interview. “And probably one of the best matches, if not the best match, I played this year. I felt fantastic on the court from the first point.”
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 27, 2021
The 34-year-old will play either qualifier Andrej Martin or fifth seed Dusan Lajovic in the semi-finals on Friday.
Djokovic is aiming to win a third title on home soil – having triumphed at the Serbia Open in 2009 and 2011.
The victory was his 952nd at tour level, moving him one ahead of Guillermo Vilas on the all-time ATP list.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner