‘Please don’t retire yet!’ – Top ATP youngster pleads with Roger Federer to play on for another year
Jannik Sinner says he has pleaded with Roger Federer to delay his retirement to give him one last chance to play him at Wimbledon.
The Italian has climbed to number 73 in the currently frozen world rankings and, along with Felix Auger-Aliassime, is widely regarded as the finest teenager on the ATP Tour.
Federer is Sinner’s hero, but many have speculated that he may opt to hang up his racket this year after the coronavirus forced Wimbledon to cancel the 2020 tournament.
Sinner, though, has made a plea to the 38-year-old.
“I send a message to Roger: ‘Play another year, so maybe our match is only postponed for twelve months’,” Sinner told Gazzetta dello Sport.
“Beating Federer in Wimbledon has always been one of my dreams.
“However, I hope to be able to play on Centre Court one day, I have yet to discover my worth on the grass.”
Federer has won eight singles titles at Wimbledon, making him the most successful male player in the tournament’s history.
Sinner, meanwhile, was due to make his first ever appearance in the tournament’s main draw this summer before it was cancelled due to the coronavirus crisis.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner