‘Playing Roger Federer was like playing a computer game,’ says ATP star
American tennis star and entrepreneur Noah Rubin has admitted it was an honour to play against Roger Federer and described the experience as similar to playing a video game.
Noah Rubin, who has a career high ranking of 125, saw his dream come true at the Australian Open in 2017 when he faced Roger Federer in the second round.
“It was amazing playing Federer. I don’t think a lot of people remember but I actually had to qualify for that. I played three guys, two of them were inside the top 100 who had to go through qualifying which doesn’t usually happen,” said the 25-year-old.
“Then I played a fellow American in Bjorn Fratangelo and that was my first full five set match so I feel like I almost got something out of that tournament, then suddenly here I am playing in front of 14 thousand people on Rod Laver Arena playing Roger Federer.
“I have practised or played exhibitions with the very best. I practised with Murray before, warmed up Nadal for semi-finals of the 2015 US Open, played an exhibition with Djokovic, but Federer I have never really had that interaction with.
“Obviously in the locker room but nothing like that, so playing him was kind of like playing a computer game. It was super strange but being the New Yorker I am I still wanted to kick his ***!
“Going through those three sets, I had two set points in the third which people love to remind me about, but it was just incredible to play someone at his level.
“It’s going to be a tough debate in terms of who is the best but what Federer brings to the table, I mean for someone who prides themselves on their speed he just made me feel so slow.
“It’s a very unique match that I don’t think I will feel against anyone else ever again. It will always be with me and that’s why I play tennis.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner