‘Players like Jannik Sinner are not born every year,’ says former ATP ace
Jannik Sinner can be the greatest Italian player of all time, says Davis Cup captain and former ATP ace Filippo Volandri.
Sinner has made a serious mark on tennis already despite not even turning 20 yet, winning two ATP titles and breaking into the top 35 in the world.
Many analysts believe he could possible break into the top ten as soon as the end of this season, and Volandri agrees he is a remarkable talent.
“He is a boy who is forging ahead thanks to hard work and clear ideas,” Volandri told the Italian press of Sinner.
“It will be enough to give him the necessary time for improvement.”
If Sinner is to be regarded as the greatest Italian player ever, he will have to surpass the accomplishments of Adriano Panatta.
Panatta is still the only Italian man to win a Grand Slam in the Open Era, he reached number four in the world, and was the only ever man to beat Bjorn Borg at Roland Garros.
Volandri, though, says he thinks Sinner can better those accomplishments.
“Fourth in the world? Even beyond, his coach says so. He will be able to win a Grand Slam. Players like Jannik are not born every year.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner