‘Olympic medal would be the highlight of my career,’ admits Iga Swiatek
Iga Swiatek believes an Olympic medal at the upcoming Tokyo Games would be the highlight of her career despite winning Roland Garros in 2020.
The 20-year-old star has voiced her excitement about playing at the upcoming Olympic Games, though admits she wants to keep the pressure off by refusing to set expectations.
The Polish star has thrived when representing her country, winning gold alongside Kaja Juvan at the 2018 Youth Summer Olympic Games in Buenos Aires and possessing a 5-2 singles record in the Fed Cup.
“I’m very excited but at the same time I am trying to keep my expectations low and just think of it as an extra tournament because it doesn’t happen often playing in the Olympics and it might stress me out!” Swiatek told the ITF.
“This (The Olympics) is the most special thing for me but also the whole atmosphere. It has always been a pleasure for me to play the Fed Cup or when I was a junior the European Championships. It’s been different in a positive way.
“It’s going to be nice playing with Poland on my shirt but if I was to win a medal it would probably be the highlight of my career.”
— ITF (@ITFTennis) July 16, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner