Novak Djokovic ‘will have watched’ Matteo Berrettini winning Queen’s says former ATP star
Former British number one Greg Rusedski claims that Novak Djokovic “will have watched” Matteo Berrettini winning Queen’s as then the Serb can see who his “main threat” is going to be at Wimbledon.
Berrettini followed up last week’s Stuttgart Open title with a second consecutive trophy at the Queen’s Club championships on Sunday. He cruised past Serbia’s Filip Krajinovic in straight sets to join John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Ivan Lendl, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick and Andy Murray as the only back-to-back title winners at the ATP 500 event.
His victory also meant that Berrettini became the first player in the Open Era to win titles in his first two appearances in London.
What makes these victories even more impressive is that Berrettini had spent nearly three full months on the sidelines after undergoing a hand operation after the Indian Wells Masters.
Former world number four Greg Rusedski has claimed that the 26-year-old Italian has “made a statement the last few weeks” and that the SW19’s defending champion Novak Djokovic “will have watched” his Queen’s final to see who is closest competition is going to be.
In a recent interview, Rusedski said, “Djokovic will have watched this match.
“And he will have looked at it and seen where Berrettini is at because when you’re off the tour, you’re looking at who is going to be your main threat at the championships and he’s made a statement these last two weeks.”
Djokovic, who has not lost at Wimbledon since his 2017 quarter-final retirement against Tomas Berdych, will be looking to win a seventh title as well as move just one behind Rafael Nadal who has 22 Majors to his name.
🎾 Free >> Join our legendary newsletter
🎾 Read >> World’s best tennis magazine
🎾 Watch >> How to enjoy ATP/WTA/Slam tennis on TV