‘Novak Djokovic will be thinking about Rafael Nadal at Australian Open,’ says analyst
Novak Djokovic will be worrying about Rafael Nadal extending his lead in the Grand Slam race at the Australian Open, says Alex Corretja.
Nadal beat Djokovic in the final of the French Open in October to draw level with Roger Federer on 20 Grand Slam titles. Djokovic, meanwhile, is three behind on 17.
The Australian Open is Djokovic’s strongest slam, though, with the Serbian ace winning a record eight titles there in his career.
However, when asked is Nadal will be looking over his shoulder and worrying about Djokovic in Melbourne, Corretja said: “No, Novak Djokovic will be thinking about Rafael Nadal.
“In this case it is Novak who is the one who has to raise Rafa.
“Rafa has got some room but it is not just about Novak or Rafa. There are other players that can do well in the tournament.
“Of course Novak has proved that he is one of the main favourites, if not the main favourite to win the tournament.
“But it is a new season, a very strange season. If someone is to be thinking ‘if Rafa does it then I go way behind’ it is normal, not the other way around.
“If Novak wins the tournament Rafa knows he is behind him, but in the moment I think it will be more complicated for Novak if Rafa wins than the other way around.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner