Novak Djokovic vows not to underestimate Argentine but says final ‘will be strange without Rafael Nadal’
Novak Djokovic has promised not to underestimate Diego Schwartzman in the Rome Masters final, but says it will be ‘strange’ not facing Rafael Nadal.
Schwartzman produced a stunning performance to beat Nadal in the quarter-finals and backed that up with a win over Denis Shapovalov to reach a Masters-level final for the first time.
Novak Djokovic will still be the favourite, which he says will be an odd feeling for him in a final on clay as Nadal is usually across the net.
“Of course, you know, with Nadal in the finals and without Nadal in the finals makes a big difference,” said Djokovic.
“Most of the finals that I reached in the big events on clay I played against Rafa.
“So it’s going to be strange not facing him, but at the same time, I mean, Diego deservedly reached the final.
“I won’t underestimate anybody that steps on the court against me tomorrow.”
Djokovic heads into the final with a perfect record against Schwartzman having beaten him in all four occasions the two have met.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner