‘Novak Djokovic just refuses to lose’ declares Navratilova on champion mindset
Martina Navratilova spoke on what champion qualities Novak Djokovic has and what makes him one of tennis’ greatest ever players.
World No. 1 Djokovic reached his 11th Italian Open final by defeating home favourite Lorenzo Sonego in the last four on Saturday.
Navratilova won an incredible 59 Grand Slam titles across singles, doubles and mixed doubles.
“[Djokovic] finds a way to win,” Navratilova told Amazon Prime Video. “Even when he’s not that sharp or an opponent plays extremely well.
“He is a wall, it’s really frustrating to play against him because you feel like you’re beating yourself up. You’re doing everything right and you still can’t break through his defences, and then he’s got pretty good offence as well.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 15, 2021
“But that’s the mark of a champion, finding ways to win when…the crowd is against you, when the opponent’s playing out of their mind, but you still somehow, you just refuse to lose. Basically he refuses to lose.”
Novak Djokovic will face Rafael Nadal today to try to secure a sixth Rome crown of his career.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner