‘Novak Djokovic is the guy that wants to shoot Bambi in the face,’ says former US Open champion
Novak Djokovic is seen as ‘the guy who wants to shoot Bambi’ says former US Open champion Andy Roddick following a tough year off court for the Serb.
Djokovic was defaulted from the 2020 US Open on Sunday after he accidentally struck a line-judge in the throat with a spare ball.
And Roddick says that the incident will only worsen Djokovic’s reputation with tennis fans.
“The last six months for him has been a PR debacle,” Roddick told CBS Sports Radio.
“At this stage in his career, because everyone has been so in love with Rafa [Nadal] and Roger [Federer] for such a long time, he’s kind of been the villain.
“He’s the guy that wants to shoot Bambi in a lot of tennis fans’ eyes.”
On the incident itself, Roddick believed Novak Djokovic was ‘super unlucky,’ but his reaction afterwards was far worse than what happened on court.
“Super unlucky, but he put himself in a position where he was inviting bad luck into the equation by doing that,” Roddick said. “There’s no walking out of it.
“The parts about it that bother me are the 20-minute conversation afterwards, the kind of not seeming overly concerned about the lady’s throat or whatever – and then skipping press afterwards – that rubbed me probably the wrong way more than the actual action.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner