‘Novak Djokovic is an innovator – he wants to be different,’ says former French ace
Novak Djokovic is always looking to be a little bit more special than Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, says Henri Leconte.
Djokovic is the more controversial of tennis’ big three, with his words and views generally attracting more criticism than the rest.
However, Laconte believes much of that is down to the fact that Djokovic wants to innovate, and that is borne of a very different upbringing to others.
“Novak is always looking for that little something extra with respect to his two companions,” Leconte said.
“He wants to be different and he is different, he does not have the same thinking and the same vision. He suffered a lot.
“Sometimes you can’t talk about demons but there are things that stand out and he’s awkward.
“But he is also someone of incredible generosity when you see what he does for children in Serbia or for his foundation. This is what makes him charming too.
“We are lucky to have three exceptional players and others. Novak is someone who wants to innovate.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner