‘Novak Djokovic is always looking to get agitated,’ says Andre Agassi
Andre Agassi says Novak Djokovic is ‘always looking to get agitated’ and that is the reason they parted ways.
Agassi joined Djokovic’s coaching team in 2017 and took over as the head coach a year later, but it was a short-lived arrangement.
The pair seemed to clash and results were poor, and Agassi claims he is happy how it worked out as it enabled Djokovic to return to his roots and rediscover his identity.
“He is always looking to get agitated on a tennis court,” Agassi told the Hindu Times in an interview.
“I might have poked the bear a little harder and a little sooner.
“Me challenging him to stop working with him, to give him a reason to prove something. He went back to his roots – like ‘Rocky’ – his fight. That’s what he needed.
“What Novak needed was a reason to fight and care. He did not lose his game overnight. Lots of information he needed to process for a while.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner