‘Novak Djokovic is a winning institution – a final is not good enough,’ says coach
Goran Ivanisevic has compared coaching Novak Djokovic to coaching Real Madrid, saying the demand for constant success is the same.
Djokovic has won 18 Grand Slam titles and has spent more time at world number one than any other man in history.
However, Ivanisevic says that comes with added pressure for himself and fellow-coach Marian Vajda, because nothing is ever really good enough due to the Serbian’s winning mentality.
“I just think with Novak Djokovic, today is good,” Ivanisevic said. “Tomorrow is not good anymore it has to be better.
“Every day has to be better every day you have to improve, you have to you know it pushes you to be better to be a better coach and you know you just, and you see the results you know results.
“But it’s not easy. It’s a lot of ups and downs, a lot of pressure, because a final is not good enough.
“It’s like saying you’re coaching football club Real Madrid, you know, you lose two games and they encourage you to go. They want to kick you out.
“So now he is institution, he is only records, records, win win win and it’s a lot of pressure, but life without pressure is boring.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner