‘I feel physically prepared’ – Novak Djokovic dispels injury concerns ahead of comeback
Novak Djokovic says he has ‘missed tennis’ and he prepares to play his first match for six weeks after injury.
Djokovic suffered an abdominal tear during the Australian Open in February, and although it didn’t stop him winning the tournament it has required him to take some time off to heal.
He is ready to make his return in Monte-Carlo – his home tournament – this week, though, and he seems genuinely excited to be back.
“Mentally I missed tennis [the] past couple months that I haven’t been competing,” Djokovic told reporters “I look forward to my first match.
“I have had some periods in my career where I didn’t play a tournament for maybe a couple months, then came back.
“I don’t think there is anything special I have to do in terms of preparation in order for me to feel my best on the court. I’ve been training quite a lot on clay.
“Here in Monte-Carlo actually where I reside with the family, it was convenient and feels great. I feel physically prepared.
“You play the tournament at the club where you usually come to train. You still spend time outdoors walking around the club, which you don’t have normally the opportunity to do because there’s so many people, it’s just impossible to walk around.
“Now you can actually go and check out some training sessions from other players or matches, just be outdoor on the fresh air, which is something that we are grateful for.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner