Novak Djokovic hasn’t ‘given up’ on Miami Open according to his coach
Novak Djokovic still has hopes to play the Miami Open, despite having to withdraw from Indian Wells due to his vaccination status, according to his coach Goran Ivanisevic.
The 22-time major champion withdrew from Indian Wells after his request for a ‘special permit’ was not answered, and many assumed that he would receive the same fate for the second half of the sunshine double in Miami.
World No.1 Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the 2023 BNP Paribas Open.
— BNP Paribas Open (@BNPPARIBASOPEN) March 6, 2023
However, Ivanisevic has stated that he and the rest of the Novak Djokovic camp still have some hope, “We haven’t given up.”
“He wants to play and I would love it if they allow him – it would be great both for him and for tennis. If not, it’s not the end of the world, he didn’t play last year as well.”
He added, “The most important thing is that we find out soon, so that we can make a plan.”
Ivanisevic has recently said that Djokovic’s current priority is Roland Garros, and claims that playing Miami may not be the best option in fulfilling this goal.
“In terms of preparing for the European clay court season, I’m not sure playing in Miami is the best solution. It depends on Novak – in the past he has triumphed in Monte Carlo having played in Indian Wells and Miami,” said Ivanisevic.
He continued, “If he is mentally ready and in his fighter mode, like he was in Australia, then anything is possible. Nothing is comparable to last year, a year no ordinary human being would ‘survive’.”
Djokovic has won the Miami Open on six previous occasions, which is more than any other ATP player, but will need a decision before the main draw begins on the 22nd March to see if he can challenge for a seventh crown at the Floridian Masters 1000 event.
Read >> World’s best tennis magazine