‘Novak Djokovic has a superb aura – I noticed it immediately,’ says Dominic Thiem
Novak Djokovic has an ‘aura’ that you notice immediately when you face him, says Dominic Thiem.
Djokovic is all but confirmed as the year-end world number one for a record-equalling sixth time, and he will surpass Roger Federer for the most weeks at the top of the rankings some time next year.
“I played against him for the first time in Shanghai in 2014. He was on a peak,” Thiem wrote on his official website.
“A few days before he had destroyed Tomas Berdych in the Beijing final. I just hoped he wouldn’t crush me.
“I had immediately noticed the aura of his superb level of play, however, I managed to wriggle out quite well.
“I was able to keep up solidly, though I lost 3-6, 4-6. That was far away from a disaster.
“In 2018, in the semi-final in Rome, I played against him quite badly, lost 0-6, 1-6.
“But three weeks later I defeated him in the Paris quarterfinals in three sets. My first win [against him]! Amazing!
“My first victory was quite emotional. Two additional highlights: I won the 2019 Roland Garros semi-final. In the same year won the group match at the Masters.”
Thiem also explained just what makes the world number one special.
“Novak Djokovic is probably the best player of all time mentally,” Thiem said. “We have had a couple of great fights.
“He is extremely professional, always focused one hundred percent. Novak took the issue of nutrition in tennis onto a higher level.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner