‘Novak Djokovic had lost his way’ – Boris Becker lifts lid on his time coaching world number one
Boris Becker has described the changes that he made to Novak Djokovic and his game when he was his coach, and just how effective they proved.
Becker coached Novak Djokovic from 2013 and 2016 – a spell that produced seven Grand Slam titles.
And, speaking to Mats Wilander on the Eurosport Tennis Legends vodcast, Becker has opened up about his time working with the Serb.
“I started with mentality,” Becker said. “Ultimately, it’s about attitude and then how you approach big matches.
“He had lost his way, he had lost a couple of big finals to Rafa and to Roger, so he was mentally down.
“I thought his court positioning was a little off. I thought his old approach was a bit too passive to defend.
“If he let these guys overtake him, and tough guys do that, so it was a whole package.”
Becker says that the change worked, and soon enough Djokovic were considered rivals and equals.
“I remember the very first time I was on the sideline and obviously Novak and Roger were big rivals.
“After the match, it was a very odd atmosphere in the locker room when you had two guys in the corner looking at each other, and Stefan [Edberg, Federer’s coach at the time] and me chatting back like it is a walk in the park.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner