‘There is a rivalry here,’ says Novak Djokovic after completing Daniil Medvedev revenge
Novak Djokovic avenged his US Open final defeat to Daniil Medvedev by beating the Russian to the Paris Masters final.
Medvedev denied Djokovic a histpric calendar Grand Slam in New York, defeating him in straight sets.
Djokovic stepped back from the ATP Tour for a spell to recover, making his return in the French capital.
The pair, who were the top two seeds for the tournament, met again in Sunday’s final, with Djokovic scoring the 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 win.
“It was a nice feeling for me today because I played with all my family and children behind me,” Djokovic said after the match.
“[It was] very special. What beautiful smiles. I love you.
“Daniil, congratulations to you and your team. I suffered a lot as well. I suffered in New York also. There’s a rivalry on the run here and I appreciate.”
It was Djokovic’c 37th Masters title – a number no other player can match – and sets him up nicely for the ATP Finals in Turin later this month.
- Read >> Breaking tennis news
- Follow >> 24/7 LIVE scores
- Join >> Tennishead CLUB, the world’s only virtual tennis club
- Social >> Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Order >> World’s best tennis magazine
- Shop >> Lowest price tennis gear from our trusted retail partner