Alexander Zverev crushes Novak Djokovic dream of a Golden Slam in Tokyo
Novak Djokovic will not claim Olympic gold in Tokyo, falling in the semi-finals and ending the push for the elusive Golden Slam.
The world number one has been ousted from the men’s singles after falling victim to a surging Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals.
Djokovic came flying out of the gates to open the match, claiming the opening set 6-1, and he got himself into a dominant position in the second as well.
However, the world number one then suffered an uncharacteristic collapse in form midway through the second resulting in him losing seven games in a row.
That put Zverev on the verge of victory, and he kept his nerve to close out a 1-6, 6-3, 6-1 win.
Zverev in fact won 10 of the last 11 games of the match from 3-2 down in the second set.
The German will now face Karen Khachanov for gold, while Djokovic will play Pablo Carreno Busta for Bronze.
Djokovic is still in with the chance of a medal in the mixed doubles also alongside Nina Stojanovic.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner