Novak Djokovic defied “whole Serbian team” by entering mixed doubles
A member of the Serbian Olympic team has revealed that the entry of Novak Djokovic into the event was entirely the world number one’s decision.
Viktor Troicki, Olympic team coach and David Cup captain for Serbia, has stated that it was a complete surprise to see that the 20-time Slam champion decided to compete in the mixed doubles tournament.
“I was against it,” Troicki told the Associated Press. “The whole team was against it.
“I thought he had enough of tennis the last months. Really, he played so much.”
Djokovic entered the 16-pair draw of the mixed doubles alongside women’s world No. 92 Nina Stojanovic, with the duo since progressing to the semi-finals.
“Everyone was thinking about the singles,” Troicki continued on the decision from Djokovic.
“When he said he wanted to play mixed, I was like, ‘OK, [if] it means that much to him and he wants to prove that he’s ready and in the mixed matches he’s giving everything, he’s 100% focused on going all the way, then OK.’
“He’s looking for a harder challenge,” the Serb added jokingly.
“It’s working well so far. “I’m glad he’s having short matches in both events.”
In reaching the semi-finals of both the singles and mixed doubles, Djokovic did not drop a set.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner