Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal ‘just play a different game’ believes ATP coach
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are simply able to maintain a higher level than the rest of the field according to this tour insider.
Joseph Gilbert, coach to American up-and-comer Jenson Brooksby, gave his thoughts on the state of the men’s game.
In particular, the coach iterated that the pair of Djokovic and Nadal are just different beasts compared to the rest of the pack.
“I still like Nadal and Djokovic, they’re just playing a little bit of a different game,” Gilbert told Tennis.com.
“It’s very high percentage, very disciplined, very risk-free, where the young guys like going for more aggressive, more attacking.
“And they’re not physically dropping. And on top of that, they have the experience.”
Djokovic has won all three Grand Slams so far in 2021, while Nadal has added a 12th and 10th Barcelona and Rome titles to his impressive career tally.
“But there’s a lot of young guys in locker rooms and they’re coming up,” Gilbert admitted. “The returns definitely set the guys apart. It starts with the strategy and footwork, the returns, the discipline.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner