‘Not many guys have the tools to beat Roger Federer at Wimbledon’, says Patrick McEnroe
Patrick McEnroe believes there are “a good number of guys” who can upset Roger Federer on hard courts, but not many who “have the tools” to beat the Swiss on grass.
The last of Federer’s 20 Grand Slam titles came at the Australian Open in 2018, but his most recent major final appearance was in 2019 at Wimbledon – which he has won eight times.
“On hard courts, there’s a good number of guys who can upset him; while on grass, especially at Wimbledon, there’s not that many guys who have the tools to beat him,” McEnroe told Tennis.com.
“The French Open probably belongs to Nadal, and none of the young guys are very good on grass yet. The best chances for the younger guys is a pretty long way off, on hard courts in New York and Australia.”
Federer will next feature in May at the ATP 250 event in Geneva, before playing at the French Open. He last competed at the Qatar Open in Doha in March.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner