‘No one deserved a Grand Slam title more than Dominic Thiem,’ says Grigor Dimitrov after US Open win
Grigor Dimitrov believes no one deserved to win a Grand Slam title more than Dominic Thiem after his US Open breakthrough.
Thiem became the ATP’s first new major winner since 2014 when he beat Alexander Zverev in a thrilling final at Flushing Meadows earlier this month.
With Roger Federer injured, Rafael Nadal withdrawing, and Novak Djokovic disqualified in round four, it was a brilliant chance for someone to stake their claim to their collective throne at the top of the men’s game.
And in Thiem, who was playing his fourth Grand Slam final, Dimitrov believes a worthy winner was found.
“I cannot think of one person that deserves it more than Dominic Thiem to be completely honest,” Grigor Dimitrov said of the Austrian’s US Open win.
“He’s been so close on so many occasions, he was bound to win it.
“That’s just how it is – whether it’s now or the French Open or whatever else.
“I think it was good, it’s new, it’s fresh for everyone.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner