‘No easy matches anymore’ declares Serena Williams on depth of tennis field
Serena Williams believes that the tennis field is so deep now, saying as much after her third round win at the French Open.
The American superstar reached the last 16 at Roland Garros for the 12th time in her career by defeating Danielle Collins, but she says it wasn’t easy.
“I felt that I needed to be really focused in this match because [Collins is] playing really well,” Williams told reporters in her third round press conference.
“I’ve had a rough clay court season so far, so I’m happy to get some wins on the clay.”
This win actually marks a more prolonged turnaround for the American on clay. This French Open marks the first time since Roland Garros 2018 that Serena Williams has won three consecutive tour matches on clay.
The last time she won four in a row was back in 2016, the last time she reached the final at the French Open, losing to Garbine Muguruza in the championship matchup.
“There’s still a lot of matches,” Williams added. “A lot of great players as we can see.
“There’s so much depth in this game now. It doesn’t matter if you’re playing in the first round or not. You really have to fight for every match and nothing comes easy.”
Serena Williams faces Kazakhstan’s Elena Rybakina next for a place in the quarter-finals.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner