‘Nick Kyrgios needs to shut up! He criticises other players but does nothing himself,’ rages legend
Boris Becker has blasted Nick Kyrgios, branding the Australian ‘a loudspeaker who needs to shut up’ after yet another social media spat.
The Australian has never been one to hold his tongue when he has an opinion to share, although his criticisms of his ATP rivals has gone into overdrive this year.
He has targeted Novak Djokovic and Alexander Zverev over the Adria Tour, and he also got into a heated twitter exchange with Borna Coric.
He understandably opted not to travel to the US Open due to safety concerns, but that hasn’t stopped him having his say.
Earlier in the tournament, he directed unfair criticism to semi-finalist Pablo Carreno Busta, saying ‘if clay didn’t exist, he wouldn’t even be close to the top 50.’
That has proven to be one tweet too far for Eurosport expert Becker, who had some stern words for the 25-year-old.
“Nick Kyrgios should really shut up,” Becker said during commentary on Carreno Busta’s semi-final clash with Alexander Zverev.
“He has become a loudspeaker, criticises other players and doesn’t do anything himself. I don’t know athletes like that.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner