‘Nick Kyrgios has lit up the Australian Open,’ says Mats Wilander
Mats Wilander says Nick Kyrgios has ‘lit up’ the Australian Open and he hopes it can push him to the next level.
The Australian is a divisive figure in tennis, but he has produced arguably the best two matches of the tournament so far.
His campaign was ended by Dominic Thiem in a five set thriller on Friday, but Eurosport expert Wilander believes Kyrgios is unlike anyone else in tennis.
“Nick pulled through in the previous round, he was down a couple of match points against Ugo Humbert – somehow this game is fair in the end,” Wilander said of Nick Kyrgios.
“So I think what he has to take out of it, he has lit this tournament on fire.
“For me, these last two matches that he has played have been by far the best two matches, this gives us hope for the future.
“Hopefully, this will catapult Nick Kyrgios into a mindset which says I haven’t played a match for a very long time, I am good enough to play with these guys.
“Hopefully he does a bit of practising, maybe he could have pulled through here but the shot-making skills and the decisions he makes – that’s why he’s so interesting to watch.
“When he fights like this, he is one of the best players in the world and one of my favourite players to watch.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner