Nick Kyrgios falls in Atlanta as Cameron Norrie notches another victory in 2021
Nick Kyrgios was handily ousted from the tournament by one of the in-form players on the ATP tour in British star Cameron Norrie.
The maverick Aussie could not continue his run in Atlanta after conquering Kevin Anderson, losing to Norrie in straight sets 6-1, 6-4 to go out of Atlanta in the round of 16.
Kyrgios could not do much against Norrie in the first, as the Brit was so clinical on and against serve, losing just six points on-serve and breaking twice from two chances.
The first set took just 21 minutes, and the second was similarly precise for the Brit. Both he and Kyrgios held serve until 4-4, when Norrie broke at the second opportunity.
Norrie then served out the match, claiming it on his first match point. The victory takes Norrie to joint second with Andrey Rublev for most match wins on the ATP tour in 2021, only behind Stefanos Tsitsipas on 40.
He can look on to facing Finn Emil Ruusuvuori in the quarter-finals, while Nick Kyrgios will ready himself to defend his 2019 Washington Open title.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner