Naomi Osaka withdraws from Wimbledon, but is “excited to play” at Olympics
Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from Wimbledon 2021, but will be ready to return at the Olympics and is “excited to play in front of her home fans”.
The world No. 1 announced prior to the French Open that she would not attend press conferences for mental health reasons.
The French Tennis Federation fined Osaka $15,000 and warned the 23-year-old she could be defaulted after skipping her first round press duties, before the Japanese withdrew from the tournament.
“Naomi won’t be playing Wimbledon this year. She is taking some personal time with friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans,” Osaka’s team said in a statement.
Wimbledon will be played from June 28 until July 11, before the tennis event at the delayed 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo will be held from July 24 – August 1.
It will be the defending Australian Open and US Open champion’s first appearance at the Olympics.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner