Naomi Osaka breezes into Australian Open second round before admitting: ‘I was nervous’
Naomi Osaka admitted she was ‘nervous’ ahead of her Australian Open first round match against Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, although you’d have never have known it.
Osaka, the number three seed, was in utterly dominant form against the Russian, powering to a comfortable 6-1, 6-2 win.
“I was really nervous coming into this match,” Osaka said on court after the match.
“I know that I’ve played her before and it was really tough. I just wanted to play well.”
“I feel like everyone’s body has been shocked, coming [to Australia] and playing matches.”
“(I’m) really happy to see people in the stands. It’s been a bit lonely in New York.”
“In New York it was definitely a bit strange, but it was also really nice because in the finals all of the volunteers were in the stands and they finally got a chance to get good seats instead of just peering through the cracks.”
Many thought Pavlyuchenkova ay provide a real banana-skin for Naomi Osaka, but she said she was always pleased with her draw.
“I saw the projected draw and actually, I’m kind of excited,” Osaka said.
“I like playing tough people, especially in Slams.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner