Naomi Osaka believes she knows how to bury European jinx: ‘Hopefully it will work for me’
Naomi Osaka says she hopes her new more focused scheduling will help her finally discover some form in Europe.
The Japanese star’s career, whilst brilliant, has been something of a dichotomy in the sense that she has won multiple US and Australian Opens yet dramatically underperformed at Wimbledon and Roland Garros.
She, though, believes she has learned that reducing her schedule to cut down on home sickness and allowing herself to dedicate herself to events in shorter bursts can help her start to redress that imbalance this summer.
“I’m not really sure what a normal schedule is but I’ve never thought of myself to be the type of player that would play week in and week out,” Naomi Osaka said.
“I personally get homesick quite often and it makes me kind of sad sometimes.
“I’d love to just travel somewhere and just really focus on that tournament; for me that is something that I’ve learned works for me.
“Hopefully it will work for me this time in Europe because my results there haven’t been that great, but I feel like every year I am on tour I learn more about myself and what type of schedule I like to play.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner