Rafael Nadal ‘mental strength’ hailed by rising ATP star
A young ATP star has revealed that Rafael Nadal is his favourite player to watch and praised the “mental strength” of the Spanish legend.
Jenson Brooksby discussed his admiration for the 20-time major winner’s attitude – saying “you know he’s going to show up and perform the best he can” every match.
The 20-year-old has reached the semi-finals of the Citi Open ATP 500 event without dropping a set this week, after making the final in Newport last month.
The world No. 130 has also reached the final of four Challenger tournaments in 2020 – winning three.
“I’d say my favorite player to watch is Nadal, just because the mental strength he has,” the American said in an interview with Tennis.com.
“Every single match, you know he’s going to show up and perform the best he can. I think he’s the best at that, so he’s definitely the player I try to look up to in terms of those areas.”
Brooksby – who will face world No. 24 Jannik Sinner in the last four in Washington – also described his own game.
“Unique. My game is not based on weapons or weaknesses; I feel like I’m very solid all around,” he added.
“My movement’s good. I move the ball around well. And I stay very disciplined and mentally focused throughout the point, I’d say.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner