Top

Nadal leaving Wimbledon decision to last minute

0 Shares

 

Originally published on: 26/02/10 11:34

Defending Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal says he will give “200%” in order to be fit enough to play at this year’s Championships.

The world No.1, who AEGON Championships last week, has been diagnosed with “tendonitis in both quadricep tendons with a small amount of fluid on the kneecap”, but his management confirmed that he will wait until the last minute to decide on his Wimbledon participation. He arrives in London on June 16.

Nadal will make a decision on his participation once he arrives in London early next week

“I am going to give 200% to be able to be at 100% for the most important date in world tennis,” Nadal told his website.

“I have two difficult weeks ahead of me, especially because I won’t be doing what I like doing most, which is to play tennis,” he added. “I will be working on my recovery through physiotherapy treatments as well as recovery work on the specific muscular area.”

The Spaniard, who suffered the first defeat of his five visits to Roland Garros in the fourth round ten days ago, admitted that he was struggling physically when he withdrew from the AEGON Championships late last week.

He has been receiving treatment for the long term problem with his knees in Barcelona since the loss to Robin Soderling, who went on to reach the final in Paris, and underwent testing on Monday and Tuesday to assess whether or not he is fit to defend his Wimbledon crown.

“I have been having some problems in the past months with my knees, that’s no secret, that did not allow me to compete always at 100%,” said Nadal after withdrawing from the Queen’s Club tournament, where he was the defending champion. “I need to work with my team to recover well, work on my physical condition to be at my top form.

“I am really sorry and I hope that the people at the [AEGON Championships] will still want me to come next year.”

“I am going to give 200% to be at 100% for the most important date in world tennis” – Nadal

World No.2 Roger Federer, who won the French Open to complete his career slam on Sunday, expressed his concern for the Spaniard’s fitness.

“I was surprised to see him pull out of Queen’s, and now the debate that he might pull out of Wimbledon is quite frightening,” Federer told the BBC. “I don’t like to see it, because you want the best to be playing in the biggest events.

“I only wish him the best and I hope it’s not true that he will miss Wimbledon.”

Now get the WORLD’S BEST TENNIS MAGAZINE here


0 Shares
Copy link