‘Nadal is always the clear favourite on clay,’ former top-3 ace backs Rafa
Former world No. 3 David Ferrer is not disheartened by the early exit of Rafael Nadal in Monte Carlo, saying that the clay season is still young.
The three-time Davis Cup champion and compatriot of Rafael Nadal still has faith that the 2021 clay season can be another dominant one for the best on the surface.
‘Rafa played two great matches [in Monte Carlo],’ Ferrer told Radio Marca. ‘But it is true that Rublev surprised him,’ the Spaniard added.
‘In the end, the clay circuit has just begun, and for me Rafa is the clear favourite on clay by game, and because I see him looking well.
‘If he doesn’t have a major injury, he will always be the favourite.’
David Ferrer is also the tournament director for the Barcelona Open this year. He went on to speak about fellow countryman Feliciano Lopez.
‘If he cannot retire in Madrid I would love for him to retire in Barcelona, although I would like that both he and Rafa Nadal will never retire.’
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner