Nadal avenges Madrid loss with ‘important win against a great player’
Rafael Nadal took revenge over Alexander Zverev by defeating the German in Rome in straight sets.
Rafael Nadal battled through in just under two hours to defeat Alexander Zverev 6-3, 6-4 and reach his 12th semi-final at the Italian Open.
“[I’m] happy. I think I played a very solid match, with not many mistakes, playing the way that I have to.
“Important victory for me against a great player so happy, semi-finals here in Rome one more time. Confidence for myself and another victory so, against a great player.”
Zverev had beaten Nadal three times consecutively before the quarter-final in Rome. The German had 10 break point opportunities throughout the match but Nadal saved 9 of them to surrender just one break in the match.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 14, 2021
While Nadal’s first serve points won was not stellar at 58%, he was solid behind his second serve, winning 15 of 19 behind it (79%).
Nadal will compete in his 75th Masters 1000 semi-final against American Reilly Opelka, a man who is into his first ever Masters 1000 semi-final after defeating fellow first-time quarter-finalist Federico Delbonis.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner