‘My real goal is to win the French Open’ insists Daniil Medvedev
Daniil Medvedev apparently has loftier French Open ambitions than he has let on before, as he spoke about his attitude ahead of Paris.
Daniil Medvedev has clarified his aims heading into the French Open after mixed messages from the Russian about his approach on clay, especially concerning his results targets.
“I was joking when I said that about “winning at least one match at Roland Garros,” Medvedev told Championat. “It is a joke, of course! If this were really my mindset, I would not even compete.”
The world No. 2 was previously quoted as saying that his targets ahead of the clay season were to “at least win one match [at] each of [Rome, Roland Garros, and Madrid].”
But Medvedev now claims he was not serious with that statement and that his true goals are far higher.
“My real goal is to win the tournament!” He exclaimed in his interview. “To do this, I’ll just focus on each match and try to win each of them.”
As world No. 2, Daniil Medvedev will be in the curious position of being seeded second at the French Open, despite having never won a main draw match at the event and possessing a 0-4 win-loss record there.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner