‘My job is to fight, and that’s what I did,’ declares tearful Tsitsipas after win
Stefanos Tsitsipas was truly emotional after reaching his maiden Grand Slam final after defeating Alexander Zverev at Roland Garros.
The Greek superstar held off a comeback from the German to win 6-3, 6-3, 4-6, 4-6, 6-3 in three hours and forty minutes on-court.
“All I can think of is my roots, where I came from,” Tsitsipas said with tears in his eyes during his post-match interview. “I came from a really small place outside Athens.
“My dream was to play here, to play on the biggest stage of the French Open one day. I would have never thought that I would [achieve that dream].
“It was nerve-wracking, it was so intense. We got to the fifth set, first game, I think it was the most important game of the fifth set.”
Serving first in the fifth, Tsitsipas was 0-40 down facing three break points, before winning five points in a row to hold before eventually breaking for 3-1, holding each time from there to win the match.
“I came back, I stayed alive, I had the crowd with me, they were cheering me on, they were giving me their energy.
“I still felt like there was hope, I still felt there were opportunities for me to fight back and do something.
“[My] only job is to go out there and fight, and that’s what I did. It was very difficult, very emotional.
“I went through a lot of phases of emotional breakdowns but this win means a lot, this win is the most important of my career so far.”
Tsitsipas awaits either Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic for the battle to become 2021 Roland Garros champion.
- Keep up to date with the breaking French Open News
- Follow the biggest matches with our French Open LIVE Commentary
- Miss nothing with Tennishead’s French Open LIVE SCORES service
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- French Open Men’s Singles draw updated daily
- French Open Women’s Singles draw updated daily
- Today’s French Open order of play
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner