‘My hard efforts paid off,’ Stefanos Tsitsipas continues flawless run of results
Stefanos Tsitsipas made it eight wins in a row without dropping a set to reach the semi-finals of the Barcelona Open.
Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-3 6-3 to reach the semi-finals in the Catalan capital for the second time in his career.
“I think my hard efforts paid off at the end,” Tsitsipas said in his post-match interview. “I wouldn’t say it was the best start that I had but I still managed to win that game from 0-40 down on my serve.”
“I think that got me into the match. I felt more and more warm.”
15 Consecutive sets@steftsitsipas is on a roll! 🇬🇷
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) April 23, 2021
Tsitsipas did not surrender a break point in the match, saving all three chances that he presented to Auger-Aliassime. Tsitsipas also lost only 8 of 37 points behind his first serve (78% of first serve points won).
“At the middle of the first set I think that kind of developed, even more even further towards the very end where I broke him and I felt in total control after that,” the Greek added in his interview.
“I wouldn’t say I panicked or anything, but yeah I definitely knew what I was doing out there.”
The last time Tsitsipas made the semi-finals in Barcelona in 2018, he went one step further to face Nadal in the final. In addition, like this year thus far, the Greek did not drop a set en route to the championship match.
Stefanos Tsitsipas will face Jannik Sinner in the semi-finals.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner