‘My goal is to get back in top five,’ says a resurgent Kei Nishikori
Kei Nishikori says he harbours hopes of regaining his position in the top five, but he knows he will need to be tougher to get there.
Nishikori has endured a torrid time with injuries in recent years after being world number four in 2015.
He looked a lot closer to his old self against David Goffin in Dubai, though, beating the in-form Belgian in straight sets.
And, with confidence starting to flow again, Kei Nishikori is setting himself some lofty goals.
“If I want to come back to my level before, I have to be tough,” he said.
“You have to think more, and you have many more expectations. But the way I think now, is [that] this is my second [career] journey.
“I had elbow surgery two years ago, a shoulder injury last year and couldn’t play three or four months. I’ve had many injuries.
“I have to be happy, and I’ve been playing well [over] the past two weeks.
“My goal is to return to the Top 10, [the] Top 5 hopefully. I think it will be a long way back, because everyone is playing well.
“I have to step up more against Top 50 opponents, but I’ve been enjoying the challenge.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner