Murray starts French Open campaign
Murray is still attempting to recapture his best form, but illness and injuries have not helped his cause. It can be tough for a player to break a negative cycle, however Murray is not overly concerned.
“It’s how you deal with situations out there,” said the 30-year-old. “Generally, when you’re playing well, you deal with situations better, because you have won matches and you’re confident and you’re feeling really good.
“When you’re struggling a little bit, it’s a little bit harder to find your way through tough moments in matches. But that will come.”
World No.73 Kuznetsov rarely deviates from his attacking approach. The 26-year-old can be wasteful and careless but he is always a threat. “I understand he [Murray] is the favourite for this match, but I think I will have good chances,” remarked the Russian.
“It’s always a good experience to play the world No.1. If I win, I will be a hero. If I lose, nobody will be surprised. So there’s nothing to lose for me.”
The 2015 champion, Stan Wawrinka, grabbed his first title of the year in Geneva last weekend and he appears to have found his range in time for Paris. The warm conditions in the French capital should be to the liking of the Swiss, and he will look to put down a marker in his first round match against Jozef Kovalik.
Gael Monfils against Dustin Brown and Philipp Kohlschreiber versus Nick Kyrgios are two matches that are unlikely to be short of drama or entertainment.
There had been much uncertainty regarding the participation of tournament favourite, Simona Halep, due to an ankle injury she sustained in Rome last weekend – but the Romanian appears to be fit enough to compete. All eyes will be on Halep’s movement – her greatest asset – in her first round match with Jana Cepelova.
Elina Svitolina leads the WTA’s Race to Singapore table and she is the form player in the women’s draw. The 22-year-old, who will open up play on Suzanne Lenglen Court against Yaroslava Shvedova, reached the quarter-finals in 2015.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner