Milos Raonic confirms intent to play French Open, but admits to huge worries over coronavirus plans
Milos Raonic says he intends to play a full part in the European clay season, but admits he has huge worries about safety at the French Open.
Raonic continued his recent brilliant form by dismantling Leonardo Mayer 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 in the first round of the US Open.
And he intends to take that form to Europe with him after the tournament, although he says he is very concerned about the safety protocols at Roland Garros, particularly plans to allow fans inside the Stadium to watch.
“My goal initially is to play pretty much every week – Rome and the French Open,” Milos Raonic told reporters after his win.
“The only thing that is of some concern to me is that [The French Open are] going to allow 20,000 fans.
“I think that’s what I was hearing, that they’ve sold tickets. I don’t think they’ve given out the seats or anything, but something about 20,000 fans a day.
“Unless they plan on completely shifting around the organisation of the venue, it’s hard to get to your practices, get to your matches without crossing 10s if not hundreds of people on the ground.
“That to me is the biggest concern, especially seeing with the spikes that are going on throughout France right now.
“It’s hard to see that sort of getting nullified in four weeks’ time or however long it is before the French Open starts.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner