Medvedev produces stunning stat in dominant display over Next Gen star
Daniil Medvedev breezed through to the third round as he looks to secure a career-best result at Wimbledon.
The world No. 2 came up against 18-year-old wildcard Carlos Alcaraz in the second round of The Championships.
The teenage Spaniard came into the encounter having only played one tour level match on grass in his career, his first round match against Yasutaka Uchiyama, which he won in five sets.
By contrast, the Russian star came into Wimbledon off the back of a tournament win on grass at the Mallorca Championships, and had played eight main draw matches at SW19 in his career.
Medvedev was particularly commanding on his own serve. In fact, after winning the first two sets 6-4, 6-1, the Russian had won 100% of points behind his first serve, 25 of 25.
He did eventually drop points on his first serve, but ended up winning 95% of them (39 of 41 points).
The two-time Slam finalist wrapped up the match for a 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 victory in a little under an hour and forty minutes on Court One.
It means for that the Russian has equalled his best career result at Wimbledon, having twice made the third round in 2018 and 2019.
He will no doubt be looking to go much further this fortnight, and will face either 32nd seed and 2017 Wimbledon finalist Marin Cilic or French qualifier Benjamin Bonzi in the Round of 32.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner