WATCH: Daniil Medvedev hits sublime lob as he sends Wimbledon warning
Daniil Medvedev claimed the first grass court title of his career by downing Sam Querrey in the final of the Mallorca Championships.
The world No. 2 defeated the 33-year-old American 6-4, 6-2 in the final of the ATP 250 tournament to win his first grass court title.
The Russian was imperious on serve as he did not face a break point – and secured the only break of the opening set to go up 4-3.
Medvedev then broke the world No. 60 in the first game of the second set and struck again for 5-2, before serving out for a convincing triumph.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) June 26, 2021
It is his 11th career ATP title – and first on a surface other than hard courts.
The top seed hit 10 aces, no double faults, and won 89% of points behind his first serve, as well as 65% on his second delivery.
The Russian is the No. 2 seed at Wimbledon – which begins on Monday.
He faces a tough-looking opening round test in Jan-Lennard Struff – who he fell to in the first round in Halle last week.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner