Medvedev confident after first French Open practice ‘didn’t feel like playing on clay’
Daniil Medvedev is in high spirits for his first round match at the French Open as he looks to secure a first career win on the Paris clay.
Daniil Medvedev is feeling good about his preparation before matches get underway on Sunday for the 2021 French Open.
“I have to say coming here was my first practice yesterday, I was playing amazing so far,” the world No. 2 said in a tournament press conference.
“I feel like, I don’t know if maybe the balls change or it’s the conditions, because last year we had these Wilson balls which are supposed to suit me, but it was like five degrees when I played my match so I had almost no chance to do anything against a great player like Fucsovics.”
Medvedev is in the peculiar position of being seeded no. 2 for the tournament having never won a main draw match at Roland Garros.
— Daniil Medvedev (@DaniilMedwed) May 28, 2021
“So far [in practice] I have been playing amazing. I mean, I didn’t feel that it was clay. I was playing like on hard courts, and hopefully, I mean, I have some expectations,” Medvedev added.
“Most important is to play good…I really like the conditions here so far, and looking forward to having a great tournament, to be honest.”
Daniil Medvedev gets underway in Paris against Kazakh Alexander Bublik.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner