MaSha calls time on 2008 season
Australian Open champion Maria Sharapova has officially ended her 2008 tennis season because of a lingering shoulder injury.
Maria Sharapova has announced on her website that she will not return to the WTA Tour to compete in Asia, Europe, or the season-ending Championships.
“Its taking a lot longer than I had selfishly planned”
Sharapova is in Arizona receiving treatment for the shoulder injury she picked up in Montreal, but despite signs of improvement, she will not risk it until next year.
Ive been progressing really well but its taking a lot longer than I had selfishly planned, the Russian wrote. Therefore my team and I decided to shut it down for the season.
Because of her injury, Sharapova has been banned from practicing for the past few weeks, but expects to start playing again soon.
Next week I am going to finally hit my first tennis ball and a few weeks after that my first serves, Sharapova said.
Maria Sharapova won three WTA Tour titles in 2008 – including the Australian Open – and finishes the season with a win-loss record of 32-4.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner