Lloyd Harris victory over Rafael Nadal labelled ‘excellent’ by former US Open finalist
The South African claimed a monumental win over Rafael Nadal, and the huge result is not going unnoticed by tennis experts.
Former world number four Greg Rusedski was impressed by Lloyd Harris in his battle with the Spaniard.
Nadal lost out in the first set 6-4, before storming back to take the second 6-1, but Harris sealed the match with a break in the third for a 6-4, 1-6, 6-4 win.
“Tactically so good from Lloyd Harris against [Nadal],” Rusedski tweeted soon after the match.
“Serving forehand side on first serve and body and backhand on second serve. Anything short in the rally punished and keeping points short.
“Excellent performance. Quite an underrated player for the tools and athleticism he has.”
Lloyd Harris has quietly been securing some brilliant results in 2021 so far. The South African is now 6-1 against top-20 opponents, with wins over Stan Wawrinka, Dominic Thiem, Denis Shapovalov, Grigor Dimitrov, Gael Monfils and Rafael Nadal, only losing to Andrey Rublev at Wimbledon.
Harris takes on Kei Nishikori next for a place in the semi-finals of the Citi Open.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner